The most important elements of the town’s medieval urban design was the manor house of the owner of Trzebinia, the parish church and the ore transport route. Later on it was complemented by the Market Square where there was a sheep fair on St. Stanislav’s Day. At present the Market Square is larger and adorned with a fountain and plants. The surrounding tenement houses have been thoroughly renovated.
The remaining elements of the architectural plan have also been transformed – in the 17th century the manor house of the town’s owners, designed as a classicist building, the Zieleniewski Manor House (at present it belongs to the Trzebinia Cultural Centre), replaced the residential castle tower dating from the Middle Ages and in 1928 the late baroque St. Peter’s and Paul’s Parish Church was demolished and a new one was erected in its stead. Some of its furnishings come from the earlier church buildings that existed in the same place. They include the early baroque side altar, the baroque paintings of the four Evangelists and the Mother of God with Child, three crucifixes (one in the gothic and two in the early baroque style), the statue of St. Barbara and the rococo altar crucifix.
Another much older church building – the church on Zagajnik Hill in Płonki (approx. 5 km away from Trzebinia) dating from the 14th century – did not preserve its original form either. The Sanctuary of the Mother of God – the Patron of the Polish Working Families has been one of the most important centres of the cult of the Virgin Mary in the Cracow Archdiocese since at least the early 17th century. In 2007 it was placed together with the Sanctuary of the Mother of God of Fatima in Trzebinia on the international pilgrimage route from Częstochowa to Mariazell in Austria.
THE PALACE AND PARK COMPLEX IN MŁOSZOWA
In the village of Młoszowa close to Trzebinia there is a monument with a remarkable history. In the mid 19th century the Florkiewicz family built a residence where once the 17th century manor house stood before it fell into ruin. The appearance of the residence suggests it is a medieval castle. Kajetan Florkiewicz, a solicitor from Kęty – who had been newly knighted – wanted to pass for old nobility and the fake ancient family residence was supposed to help him make that impression. The reconstruction of the manor house in the fashion of a medieval castle was completed by his son – Juliusz Ozdoba Florkiewicz – about 1870. He pursued his scheme consistently and on a grand scale creating a remarkable residence full of surprising fictional historical references as its elements and ornamentation refer to different epochs. The owner even made a further step in creating the family myth by publishing under a pseudonym a book about Młoszowa containing historical facts mixed with legends he invented himself. READ MORE
Today the Palace and Park Complex consists of the palace part with the adjoining chapel and the 17 ha large park.
The Zieleniewski Manor House
The history of the manor house goes back to the 13th century, however the first stone building was probably erected only in the late 14th century. The manor house bears a lot of features characteristic for old Polish manor houses including a broken-line mansard roof (called the Polish roof) and a portico with four columns from the roadside. This shape probably dates from the early 17th century. The last residents of the manor house were Paulina i Marian Zieleniewski from Borysław and it still bears their name. They purchased land in Trzebinia in 1920. In 1983 the manor house was bought by the State from the inheritors of the Zieleniewski family. At present Trzebinia Cultural Centre organises many concerts, exhibitions and meetings with interesting guests. There are also high standard guestrooms in the Zieleniewski Manor House and in its stylish basement there is a restaurant and a cafe. READ MORE
ST. MARY'S SHRINE IN PŁOKI
The first stone church building on Zagajnik Hill in Płoki was erected in the early 14th century (the parish was established in 1314 and its existence is proved by St. Peter’s Record of 1326). After the fire in 1793 it was rebuilt in the classicist style as a much smaller building which was demolished due to its poor technical condition in 1949. The present church building was completed in 1954.
Its greatest treasure is the miraculous painting of the Mother of God with Child from the late 15th century by an unknown artist. It is the oldest painting in Trzebinia. The picture was painted on wood in tempera in the fashion of the Byzantine iconographic style Hogitria with an embossed motif of acanthus twigs on the golden chalk background. The famous painting was crowned with papal crowns in 1982. Another precious object from this church – a large size crucifix – is in the church in Psary now. READ MORE
THE SAINT MARY'S SHRINE OF OUR LADY OF FATIMA IN TRZEBINIA
In 1901 the Slavatorian monks founded a new order in Trzebinia – the first one in the Polish territory. In 1903 they bought 3 ha of land at the railway station for monastery buildings and a church. In 1910 the cornerstone of the church building was consecrated but the construction works were interrupted by the outbreak of World War I. The works were only resumed in 1954 and the church was completed in 1961. The church and the monastery are surrounded by a spacious park with the stations of the Way of the Cross with statues by the sculptors J.J. Noworola from Cracow.
The Church of the Holiest Heart of Jesus in Trzebinia is famous for its miraculous statue of the Mother of God of Fatima brought from Fatima in 1962. In 1867 the figure was moved to a separate chapel and in 1997 it was ceremoniously crowned with the papal crowns and the church became a Sanctuary of the Mother of God of Fatima (the first night vigil was held 47 years earlier on 13th May 1950). READ MORE